Dec 25, 2007

New Paintings

Eye of Nature
My first attempt at "Abstract" painting. It's called the eye of the nature. I used the eye as the central element marked out by the streets. Then I use the 5 elements of nature: earth, trees, metal, fire and water through the bomb hole, dying forest, construction site, forest fire and flood. I'm always fascinated with the idea of the blood-tear so I added in a little road-kill. Hope you like it :)


Hikaru (Light)
Another self-portrait. I just wanted to paint this as a contrast to the old "Darkness" portrait of mine. This is to mark a point where I'm happy and I want, need and deserve to be happy. So there it is, hikaru, shining light.


377A
This was painted a few months back while I was still doing the media law project. You know in Singapore there is a law that ban gay sex called 377A (I kid you not, read the law a the government website here. It's under Unnatural Offenses. They say "sexual choice is not a right. Therefore gay right is not right." in the Strait times, official news media of the country. Whether it is a choice a lot of people still argue, but to me, to be able to live with your choice is a right of people. I was at the smoking corridor of Arts in NUS where there is a No smoking sign, and I thought a sign like this would be interesting. Why did I paint this? As my classmate has beautifully put it "I'm not pro-gay. I'm just anti-injustice".

Rising (Sculpture Design)
Weijia called me during lunch seeking for help conceptualize a design for a sculpture that they need to do for their faculty. So these are my 2 ideas based on their concept and description. One of these days when you stop by NUS and see an ugly piece of rock next to other ugly pieces of rock, it might have been my idea, which has about 1% of my input to it.
Till we have faces (Masks design for Hall Play)
These are the actual result of the design I had a few months back. They are painted directly on the surface of the masks using oil paint. Pretty?

No comments:

Pacey's photo blog. Website: Pacevolution.com