Aug 12, 2008

FLOAT Competition

Float is NUS annual competition where the students use recycled materials to build 14-footer lorry size Arts exhibition (coupled with a mechanism and dance performance). Sounds fun? I’ve been joining in 2.5 competitions and been helping out here and there as seniors mostly.

I came back Hall at about 11pm while it was raining on Thursday. I was hesitating about coming back, but I guess it was fated in a sense that I have one day off from work. So I took the whole day off, and spent the night in hall helping them. To my pleasant surprise, I’m still of some use. I got the honor to attach the last piece of prop onto the Float (cos not everyone is confident with metal wire construction). I also got to body paint the lead dancer. And I helped finish one piece of costume for the display. It’s sort of like “Project Runway” moment when I have minimal materials and 2 hours to finish a piece to walk down the runway.

Here are the highlights of the FLOAT competition


Beautiful Costumes - The joker, the king and the queen

KE Finale
Body Painting - My masterpiece

Narrator - The story teller
The last piece of prop that was attached by me (done by others)
My Project Runway moment - Before
My Project Runway moment - After
KE Float - Beautiful Joker
KE Float - Knight Helmet
With my roomie and the FLOAT
The committee who put it all together
All FLoaters f Different years
Kent Ridge Float - Magical Shoe House - The well-deserved Winner
Eusoff Float - Christmas House elves
Shear Float - Rhapsody
Raffles Float - Musical Forest

Creative Materials - KR Float - Needle wheel
Materials: Cardboard, Bicycle part, Stirrer, Can bottoms, bottle cap, Plastic Bucket, Wooden Clip Hangers
Out of focus thread: A real fanCreative Materials - KR Float - House decorative
Materials: Computer keyboard pieces (This was originally Shear's idea last year) , Origami paper, Cloth, Fruit wrapper, Spray bottle
Creative Materials - KE Float - Knight
Materials: Can drinks Cans, cardboard, book binder
Creative Materials - KE Float - Lamp
Materials: Fruit carton, Bottle Cap, Can bottom, Egg carton, Rope
Creative Materials - SH Float - Piano
Materials: Yogurt drink bottle, Bicycle chains, Cans, RopeCreative Materials - EH Float - House pillar
Materials: Old carpet, cans, newspaper
Creative Materials - RH Float - Bee hive
Materials: Cardboard, drinking cups
Creative Materials - KR Float - Shoe house
Materials: Cardboard, Metal wire, Sandwich box, yogurt bottles, chocolate box
Creative Materials - KE Float - Chain mail
Materials: Cooper metal wire weaved together

No comments:

Pacey's photo blog. Website: Pacevolution.com